August 19, 2010

Mystical Arts of Tibet - Sand Mandala By the Monks of Drepung Loseling Monastery

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

American Theatre, Hampton, VA  (visited August 6 - 7, 2010)

I visited the American Theatre in Hampton, Virginia, earlier this month to see Tibetan monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery in action, painstakingly adding small amounts of colored sand to a design they had geometrically laid out on a table a couple of days earlier.  Sand mandalas are a Tibetan Buddhist tradition.  Once it's been completed, it's then ritualistically destroyed.  This destruction symbolizes the Buddhist doctrinal belief in the transitory nature of material life, or the impermanence of all things.  Even the deity syllables are removed in a specific order, along with the rest of the geometry until the mandala has been dismantled.  The sand is collected in a jar which is then wrapped in silk and transported to a river (or any place with moving water), where it is released back into nature.  All in all, it was very awe-inspiring and humbling experience to watch the monks methodically add small amounts to sand around and around the pattern.  The sounds of the tubes they used to add the sand to the design...each clinking and scraping sound...seemed to fill the theater as they worked.  Those of us who were there to witness the monks work were instinctively quiet in our manner and speech, as if any noise we might make would interrupt them.  If you ever have a chance to view something like this, please consider it...it's a great learning experience!  Tibetan Buddhism is new to me...having grown up in a home where Japanese Buddhism was the mainstay.  It is the many aspects of Buddhism in general that attracts me...sand mandalas and their meanings being one of them.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Not very active here are ya? Well, I am going to wish you are very super fantastic New Year anyway!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I returned from India, Nepal and Tibet this past November. We have seen the monks constructing the mandalas and it is both an interesting and inspiring sight to see so much effort put into something so impermanent. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toemailer, thank you! I always have these great intentions to keep up with my writing but life with three young ones always seems to take front seat. I do need to keep up with this because I have so many different things I could write about! Happy New Year to you, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Mary. You are so right. Watching the monks working deliberately and patiently was very soothing and inspiring to me. I often view these pictures on my computer to help remind me that the journey, the path we take daily...to live presently and always in the moment...is far more important to me because come tomorrow, it's a whole new day. The idea of impermanence has helped me tremendously as a mother and the letting go of daily frustrations that can arise when raising small children. They will not be this age for long. :) I can go on and on about how this....

    Blessings to you as well, Mary. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete